Join the Team
Title: Executive Director, School Systems Leaders Fellowship at Cambiar Education
Application Process: Rolling
Start Date: Summer 2018
The School Systems Leaders Fellowship seeks a visionary Executive Director to lead the growth of its signature program and organization over the long-term. The Executive Director, School Systems Leaders Fellowship at Cambiar Education is responsible for all aspects of running a leadership development program to propel aspiring systems leaders into instructionally focused cabinet-level roles in school systems across the country. The Fellowship’s mission is to attract, develop, and support aspiring school systems leaders from diverse backgrounds to be the catalysts for transforming public education to ensure that all students across the country have access to excellent educational opportunities.
Launched in 2012 at Teach For America, the Fellowship transitioned to Cambiar Education in 2017. The Fellowship has trained 58 leaders across four cohorts, 59% of whom identify as people of color and 69% as women. All fellows come into the Fellowship with teaching experience, 69% of fellows are former principals, and 59% serve in principal manager or instructional superintendent roles during the Fellowship. The Fellowship has a strong track record of results. Two thirds (66%) of the fellows from the inaugural cohort (2013) have already held cabinet-level roles, and 62% of all Fellowship graduates have been promoted or taken on expanded roles within one year of completion.
Currently, the Executive Director manages a four-person team consisting of two Senior Managing Directors, a Program Manager, and a Senior Advisor with potential to grow the team. The Executive Director reports to the CEO and Founder of Cambiar Education, Christina Heitz.
- Set the vision and direction for the short- and long-term growth of the School Systems Leaders Fellowship with a commitment to impact, equity, excellence, and sustainability
- Build and manage a high-performing team to design, plan, and execute all Fellowship-related content and programming
- Lead all development and earned-income efforts to secure funding for the ongoing work and growth of the Fellowship
- A deep and unwavering commitment to equity
- A passion for growth, learning, and improvement both individually and for the Fellowship
- The ability to be flexible with the “How” of the work, while never losing sight of the “Why”
Candidate Profile and Experience Prerequisites
This role requires a visionary leader with strong capabilities in innovative, strategic, and systems thinking as well as writing and interpersonal relations. The Executive Director will be the face and voice of the Fellowship and must be able to tell the compelling story of the Fellowship to a wide range of audiences including potential fellows, systems partners, funders, and colleagues in the field. The ideal candidate will have experience in school systems leadership and a proven track record of leadership and impact. That said, we are searching for the best person to lead the School Systems Leaders Fellowship into the future. If you believe you can excel in this role and are passionate about our mission, we encourage you to apply.
Required Professional Experience
- Proven track record of success in setting vision and direction
- Proven track record of success as a manager of people and projects
- Strong understanding of school systems (districts, charter management organizations, and state education agencies)
- Ability to build strong relationships and credibility with diverse stakeholders
- Experience navigating nuanced partnerships and establishing positive relationships with peer organizations
Preferred Professional Experience
- Professional experience in school system leadership
- Proven track record of successful fundraising
- Experience with adult learning
- Familiarity with best practices in instruction, innovation, and systems strategy
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit your resume and one-page cover letter to Beau Gallegos at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Benefits and Salary
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. A comprehensive benefits package is included in addition.
Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity
Cambiar Education seeks individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.